7.05.2011

4th of July: Sunday

Bear Lake /bɛər lake/ (n.) A lake high in the Rock Mountains residing in both Utah and Idaho. Great for boating, water skiing, camping, and an Independence Day weekend getaway. 

First of all, I've never been to Idaho. Second of all, I've never been to Bear Lake. I fixed one of those things this weekend.
Shelly and I woke up to Jenna complaining that we slept a long time ("Why do I always wake up first?!"), and proceeded to lie there like dead fish while she started cooking breakfast. After personally making three omelettes, we were finally ready to eat. Pancakes with whipped cream, strawberries, and blackberries; bacon; onion and pepper omelettes; and Ikea cinnamon rolls (which are fabulous, if you were wondering).


After buying yet another crummy $2.50 raft, this time green in color, we headed to Bear Lake. When we finally got there, the only people we could see swimming were on private beaches. One beach was closed due to flooding, so we thought we would have to resort to sneaking into a private beach. We eventually found a spot and went swimming. The water was cool yet pleasant, and Jenna and I would randomly shout how much better it was than First Dam. 
After a few hours of floating, we made Shelly get out because her shivering made us feel like she was going to kick the bucket. We packed up and found a spot open in town for raspberry shakes. Since it was Sunday (and one of two places open in the Bear Lake area), we had to wait quite some time, but the shakes were definitely worth it.












It's funny to watch Jenna get
on the raft.












The beach area was a little... flooded.














(Click to enlarge)
























A dinner of whole wheat spaghetti later, we tried to light fireworks.
It was windy. Our only lighter died. We bought a pack of cheap-o lighters which not only hurt our thumbs but burnt them when the wind kept blowing the flame over our flesh. Shelly went and bought a long lighter. It took about 2 minutes to light a sparkler, which we would then use to light the fireworks or other sparklers. When we'd accidentally let a sparkler die, much grumbling ensued and the click click clicking of a lighter could be heard until the sparkler started again.


We photographed our adventure with the approximate 90 sparklers. 


After all was said and done (which took about 2 hours for 30 fireworks), we watched Little Miss Sunshine and passed out.



I like this one.














Shelly being her creepy self.



2 comments:

taraya said...

You make me laugh audibly. Sometimes I don't expect it and its more of a strangled gurgling sound. Those are my favorite.

Also, you are making me wish all the more that I had been there. I'm 97.6% sure that you only wrote these posts to make me jealous and regretful. Mission accomplished, Miss Singleton. Mission. Accomplished.

As a sidenote, I like your blog...profile description. Thing. Of yourself Very succinct, very to the point, and perilously accurate. I applaud thee.

Kelsey said...

I like this post. You're pretty cool too.