1.09.2016

3:00 A.M.

I awoke suddenly.

The reason wasn't immediate, which it usually is when I wake up so promptly (you know, a light in the room, too cold, too itchy, a limb has fallen asleep...). It took me a couple minutes to come to, but when I did, I saw a faint, blurry, glowing orb in front of my face. Still confused and not fully aware, I squinted pathetically to try and see better. With no clearer understanding, I reached out my hand and slowly went to touch it. As my hand reached, my touch encountered a soft material. It was Dustin's blanket.

As Dustin felt my touch, he threw the covers off his face, revealing that the glowing had been coming from his phone. As soon as I registered the phone, I then realized that both my arms were somehow partially asleep. The painful, ticklish feeling of both limbs coming back to life brought my cognitive abilities to full awareness.

Me: "What are you doing?"
Dustin: "I couldn't sleep."
Me: "How long have you been up?"
Dustin: "About an hour."
Me: "Geez! What time is it?"
Dustin: "Almost three. I think I'm going to get up and go to work early." (He usually wakes up at 4:00 and goes to work at 5:00.)

We laid there for a couple minutes, chatting about who-knows-what, laughing a bit; then Dustin peppered me with kisses before getting up to go to work. I, surprisingly, ended up falling back asleep pretty soon after that.

What a pleasantly odd night. Or morning. Whatever you consider 3:00 a.m. to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was so adorable.