8.22.2010

Timpanogos Cave

Mark, Mary, Dad and I hiked up to Timpanogos Cave the other day, and besides my dad, it was all our first time going there. We purchased cave tickets and started hiking up the trail. The hike wasn't hard, but since I have small lungs and weak muscles, I got a side cramp and had to slowly make my way up out of patheticness. The rest of my family basically ran up the mountain (without actually running) while I trudged up next to an older couple. I
stopped more frequently than the older woman, which made me feel super lame.
As soon as we got to the entrance of the cave, a torrential downpour (common in Utah summers, unless we're in a drought) began. I felt bad for everyone on the trail getting soaked. We started our cave tour and saw some pretty cool stalactites- well, as cool as stalactites can be.




So these pictures all may look the same, but they're not. They're just an array of a few of the things you'll see in Timp cave. Picture number 5 is a giant stalactite referred to as "The Heart of Timp," and it weighs over 400 lbs. Picture 7 (the last cave picture) is called "Caramel Falls," which upon hearing that, made me really hungry for something caramel. Also, it was as if it were an abandoned Willy Wonka cave factory.
















The heart of Timp -->




















Caramel Falls -->






Me, Mary and Mark waiting for my dad to go to the bathroom. I don't know why we're bending over, we had ample sky space to stand up straight in... -->

3 comments:

Arlene said...

I love that hike and the cave! I used to live 2 minutes from the mouth of the canyon and went all the time! Great pictures, missy! Mark looks like he's got a super long leg! hehehe

Tairsa said...

How fun! Those pictures are beautiful Sarah! I love looking at your art!

Taylor said...

I did this hike a month or so ago! So fun! Killer, but fun! We forgot to bring a camera... but we had an awesome time with a sweet little crank disposable camera we bought at the gift shop! Reminded me of the good old days. :) Definitely doing that one again, and that caving tour sounds so sweet!