3.20.2012

Drawing fun

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a fan of drawing.
But class on Monday was super fun.

First thing, my teacher decided that for the rest of the semester we're going to have "bad music Mondays," which means picking awful stations on Pandora and playing it throughout class. The first song was a Phil Collins song (nothing against him, but the song was pretty annoying). Almost every other song was from the 90's-- most of them rap. There were some awful, awful songs. Our class just kept groaning every time a new song started.
I must say that at the end of the playlist it was Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys and N'SYNC. I knew all the words.

Our main activity for the day was drawing each other. We've done it before, but this time our teacher made it fun. We set up the drawing horses in two rows facing each other and one side sat and posed while the other side drew them. Instead of us just drawing for 20 minutes, we had one song (because in art classes, time is measured by songs) to start drawing. Then we moved to the right and drew on the other person's drawing. We rotated again and then went back to our own drawing to finish up. It was really fun because everyone has different drawing styles and approaches, so combining them together made some fun results. Almost all the drawings looked a lot better than one person spending 20-30 minutes on it, and it all has to do with holding ourselves back. As my teacher, Zach said, the biggest obstacle between you being a great artist and an okay one is yourself.
After each side drew, we did the activity again. Except instead of rotating to the right, we stood back and chose which drawing we wanted to add to. I saw a wonderfully abstract drawing and darted toward it. We went back to our own drawing. When we were done, I heard someone across the room say, "who worked on mine? Who worked on mine?! Because it's perfect." Guess who added to it? Yep, me. We both initialed it and I told her to save it forever.
Team Addie and Sarah = win.
The people who drew me did a delightful job. I'm charmed.

At the end of class, Zach said, "So while [so-and-so] was drawing me, I wrote some things on my hand that I need to remind you about."
So-and-so: "Maybe if you weren't writing on your hand you would've actually sat still."
Zach: "Is that why your drawing is so bad?"
Burn.

When I went to 3D design today, this is what I saw:
One of the other classes built a collaborative cardboard robot. I love the attached-by-a-chain hand.

No comments: