6.23.2013

Cops & Cats

Well, well, who do we have here?
Oh, it's those that I love. Yay!
A quick story on how our week started off:
Monday was a super rainy day. Sister Hall and I took our violins and went up to an area where a woman had told us to come back. We showed up as she was leaving, so we decided to walk around in the rain with our instruments (in the cases, of course). We didn't talk to too many people, but about an hour later we were about to knock on a door and a police officer drove up. Apparently someone didn't really like our joyful attempts to play music and called the cops on us. Of course the officer was super nice, so we talked to him a little bit and went on our way. Needless to say, that was the first time that's happened on my mission. (But will it be the last??)
Tuesday we had Zone Conference, but this one was special because it was President and Sister Schaefermeyer's last. They're going home next week :( It's been so much fun to have President Schaefermeyer as my mission president, especially since he's just so relaxed, faithful, and full of love. We talked about how whenever someone comes up with objections to the Church, one of the prophets, a point of doctrine, etc. it always, always goes back to the Book of Mormon. It doesn't matter what in the world the objection is, if they read and pray to know the Book of Mormon is true, then it will be answered. This applies to everyone.
Since it's been published, the Book of Mormon has been tried and torn apart by many people, but it's never been disproven. And why is that? Because it's true. I know it's true. It's 100% completely true, and because I know that, I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior, that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's Kingdom on the earth. If anyone doubts those (or other things), then what do you need to do? Read the Book of Mormon. (Is this starting to sink in?)
This talk from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland is one of the most powerful talks, and it's on the Book of Mormon. Watch it!
After Zone Conference, we went on some crazy exchanges, in which I ended up in Kutztown for two days. We did service all day on Wednesday, in which we painted, helped a woman with things around the house, and then we did yardwork. At the last house I learned how to use a riding lawn mower. It was terrifying but fun. I've always wanted to ride one of them!
Another story! So we stopped by a potential in Kutztown who had talked to the Elders like two years prior. After Sister Stephenson introduced us, the woman didn't really have a response, and I didn't know what to say. I'm pretty sure there were crickets churping... Then suddenly a giant, fluffy orange cat ran out the door, and of course my immediate response was, "KITTY!" and I reached down to pet it. I started talking about how much I love cats, and then the woman told us about her other cats and how she rescued them all. We ended up talking to her for about 15 minutes, and it was really awesome. I even got to pet her other two adorable cats.
So, moral of the story #1: Just be yourself. Be genuine, and you'll find something to talk about. Moral of the story #2: Cats are the best.
In lieu of Father's Day, I just wanted to bear my testimony on how much our Heavenly Father loves us. He loves me, He loves you, and He knows everything we're going through. If we're going to be open and honest with someone, let it be our Heavenly Father.
Brother Norton gave a talk yesterday on fathers and related it to Superman. Superman had two fathers: his natural father and his earthly father. The things he was given and learned from each father combined was what made him the Superman, and not just a really strong guy. It's the same with us-- we learn things from our Heavenly Father and our earthly fathers and those things combined are what enable us to reach our highest divine potential.
I'm so grateful and blessed to have a wonderful (earthly) father, and I know that it's because of his example that I am who I am. I love you, dad!
I also love you, mom. And everyone else, of course!
Sister Singleton

Race Track

After district meeting, Elder Pond set up a giant racetrack with cars. It was super fun.

This is Sister Libby Jensen! For those of you who don't know, we totally went to high school together and were in orchestra together! Oh my goodness, she's serving in the Philadelphia Pennsylvania mission. What up!

The Sisters at this zone conference. Aren't we so good looking?

A more serious picture of us sisters and zone conference.

President Schaefermeyer and I.

Jake, the ugly dog who lives with us.

Me and Sister Schaefermeyer.









No comments: