9.23.2013

Medford & Electric Yellow Popcorn

Guess where I am? MEDFORD, NEW JERSEY!
So this probably means nothing to you, but think about this: Moorestown, NJ was my first area, and Medford is right next door. In fact, Medford was in my first district.* When I was in Moorestown way back when, it was an Elders' area, in which Elder Bennett (who is also from Springville) served here. So you can imagine my surprise when at transfer meeting I saw my picture up on the screen for Medford. I was like, "Medford?? That's an Elder's area. Why's my picture up there?"

So my new companion is Sister McNeil, and she's the coolest person ever. She really likes Batman and superheroes and grew up with only brothers. We are both new into the area and we moved into the Elders' old apartment, which was dis.gust.ing. We've literally spent the last few days cleaning, and we've only made a dent in it. Everything is sticky for some reason... but hey, we found a Nerf gun hidden away and there's over 100 paper airplanes all over the walls and ceiling (thanks to Elder Bennett). Elders.
So I'm back in Jersey, and it's pretty awesome. There's a saying among missionaries that goes, "Once you serve in Jersey, you can't get away." And it's proving to be true, haha. But the Medford ward is awesome! Within the first few days, we had at least three people call us or talk to us and tell us that they were looking for people that we could teach. I was pleasantly surprised at their attitude and their willingness to help us. We have had so many people jump right on board to help us, and it's been awesome!

Since the area's new to us and nothing much happened, I guess I'll try to describe our stay in Medford a little bit:

In our apartment there is a stack of tubs of different popcorn kernels (blue, jumbo, ladyfinger, and yellow) and a bottle of "popcorn oil." We've been making our popcorn in a pot covered with a plate/jumbo pot lid, then spraying it with canola oil and mixing it with this weird butter powder we bought, which makes our popcorn electric yellow. I feel like the more I eat it, the more likely I am to get a weird mutation.
We eat sitting on the floor amongst papers, clothes, and random object strewn about the apartment.

There's a creepy ice cream truck that circles around our apartment at 9:00 every night playing its music.
There's a sad lack of lighting in our apartment, even with the lamps in the front room. One lamp periodically shuts itself off because the wattage is "abnormal," but we checked and the bulb is the correct wattage (?). That lamp is my fiend.
Despite how awful I've made the apartment seem, I really do love Medford already. I am grateful that the Lord has trusted Sister McNeil and I to be the first sisters here in quite some time, and I look forward to the growth and miracles in this area!
I love you all! Please email me and let me know how you're doing, because I love and care about all of you!
Love,
Sister Singleton

*A district makes up usually 2-4 companionships of missionaries.

No comments: