12.08.2013

Zone Conference & Gratitude

Greetings!
I honestly don't know much that happened this week. Probably because a missionary's brain can't remember things unless they're written down in a planner. And guess who left their planner at home?
Well, it looks like the best things are first:

We taught Logan this week! The lesson was awesome and he pretty much already knew everything. It was so amazing to see how much the Lord prepared him to hear the Gospel. I couldn't ask for anything better! And the best part is when Sister Wright invited him to be baptized, he said, "Definitely!" I am totally way more excited for his baptism than for Christmas.
And another great thing involving the Mass's (you'll start to notice that almost all awesome things in the Medford ward involve the Mass's): they got sealed on Saturday! I so wish that I could've gone, but we were so excited that Brother and Sister Mass could be sealed together for eternity!
On Thursday we had Zone Conference. We thought we left early enough to get to Philly on time, but we were wrong. We showed up right as it started, which is always awkward. But it was my first time driving to and in Philly, so my nerves were on fire. When we went across the Ben Franklin Bridge it was mass chaos and I was just like, "AHHHHHHHHH EEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Driving in the city is always kind of a crazy thing. Also, people park their cars in the turn lane. I will admit that I haven't seen that before. But we made it.
Zone Conference was amazing! President talked a lot about how we need to be more effective teachers. A lot of the time when we (missionaries and members alike) teach, we tend to over-complicate things. We add in stuff that doesn't really matter. And it starts to detract from the Spirit. in the scriptures the Lords says: "Behold, I will hasten my work in its time." (Doctrine & Covenants 88:73) So shouldn't we hasten our work?
President Anderson had us practice teaching the Restoration in seven minutes. It was definitely tough, but the more we did it, the more we realized that people don't need to hear everything, they just need to feel it. And the best part is: we've already seen two awesome miracles because of it! The first was on Thursday night when we were heading to dinner after Zone Conference. We decided to teach the Restoration simply and it was so powerful! We were able to teach a less active family and the daughter's non-member boyfriend, and we ended up leaving him a Book of Mormon and he came to church! It was so awesome!

The next miracle was on Sunday. We stopped by a headquarter referral that we had talked to two weeks ago. We asked if they had 15 minutes for us to share a message and they invited us in. We taught them the Plan of Salvation and the mom was very emotional the whole time. The Spirit was so strong, and we were able to testify, teach, and answer questions in about 20 minutes.  Needless to say, I love that President Anderson has been inspired to help us become better teachers. I challenge all of you to learn how to teach the Restoration simply and concisely.
On Friday I went on exchanges with Sister Haas, who came up to Medford with me. We taught the White family, whose son was technically a convert baptism, but only because he's 10. So we had a blast with them. I tried to make an origami parakeet, but the instructions were vague and I just couldn't make the beak. Sad day.

And finally, with Thanksgiving this week, I'd just like to say a few things I'm truly grateful for:
First and foremost, I'm grateful for the Restored Gospel. Without it, I would not be as happy as I am. I am so grateful for Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and for their infinite love for us. Everything that I have is because of them. I'm also grateful for the Book of Mormon, and for the fullness of truth that it gives us.

I am also grateful for an awesome family. I love every one of you wholly, completely, even if we drive each other nuts sometimes. I couldn't ask for a better family.
I am so incredibly grateful for every single person in my life. Everyone has played such a different role, and I know that my friends, the people I've served with and around, and all those who I've known have been such a help to me. Thank you all so much for your love, and for being you.
And finally, I'm grateful for love. There is no maximum capacity to love, and being on a mission helps me see a little bit more what Heavenly Father feels for each of us.
Love,
Sister Singleton

No comments: