8.06.2014

Things Change

There are lots of things that are on my mind lately, and I seem to be doing a terrible job at keeping you at least a little up-to-date in my life.

I had plans. I was going to come back and go back to my old job until I moved to Logan and went to USU in the fall. And there were other plans, too, but I won't bore you. Needless to say, things change.

I wasn't able to go back to my old job because they were overstaffed. And I needed a job bad. Return missionaries are super poor; more so than college students sometimes. I didn't even have gas money to get around-- I had to keep getting money from my parents. But after being home for five weeks, I finally got a job. Then my schedule was filled and I needed time to find an apartment.

I finally found the time to get up to Logan to get an apartment. The stress of getting an apartment was almost overwhelming because I didn't have the money. But I got up to Logan, and I was excited to be back. I saw USU campus and couldn't help but be happy. And when I saw the art building I almost felt a leap of nervous excitement.

But then things kind of fell apart. I went up for a specific apartment, and it got sold earlier that day. Granted, I didn't go well-prepared in case this happened, but it felt like everything went down the toilet at that point. I just didn't (and still don't) have the money for even a deposit, let alone a semester's rent. My mom tried to find other apartments, but I was in a terribly sour mood and after searching through even more classifieds, I just didn't want to try anymore. I left Logan the next day, apartmentless and more stressed than before.

That night I had the thought cross my mind to not go back to school in the fall. I mean, I didn't really have the financial means to return to school, and I just barely started a job that needed me because they're so short-staffed. My first reaction to this thought was anger. I was angry because I just wanted to go to school. I love learning. I love the college life. I love everything about it.

The next few days consisted of me struggling to figure my situation out. I prayed and studied my scriptures, weighed my options, and searched for direction. I finally made up my mind that I wasn't going back to school. The decision wasn't easy; I mean, at the rate that I'm going in school, I'm going to graduate when I'm 27-28. In art.

Aye yaye yaye.

However, Heavenly Father has better plans than we do. His plans are perfect, so when I trusted that I really wasn't supposed to go to school right away, I had a lot more hope. And not going to school provided me time to save up money and buy a nice camera all on my own-- something I've desperately wanted to accomplish since I was 14.

There was a flip side: I would have to live at home to save up for rent and a camera. I don't like living at home. This is the fourth time I've had to move back home after being out on my own. For whatever reason, I always feel like my growth is stunted when I'm living at home. And with my new hours at work, I pretty much lost my social life.

Could I really do that for a whole year? I doubted it.

Then on Sunday I was doing some menial chore I can't remember and pondering. The thought that crossed my mind was something I hadn't considered: You could move to Logan spring semester and work. It was the first time in two weeks that I wasn't confused about my situation. And it felt so good.

Now I'm excited. I totally wish I could move to Logan right now, but as soon as I save up, I'm going for it.

Things change. But always for the better.

1 comment:

Jessica Grosland said...

Young adulthood seems so much more awkward than adolescence to me. Adolescence is full of crazy physical changes, true, but young adulthood has just as many transitions - only they're social, psychological, and economic transitions instead of physical ones. And at least with adolescence everyone knew and expected you to be having a hard time coping. But there's this lousy mask of perfection hung over young adulthood that makes everyone feel isolated, like they're the only ones who don't have it all together. Ugh!

Anyway, it's great that you're able to be so optimistic about it.