11.02.2014

Young Adulthood (Cue Dramatic Music)

Just a heads up: this was going to be like, three different posts, but I decided against it.

Young Adulthood.

Since most of my audience fits into this category, you understand the struggle. I won't rant on forever about it. Restrain yourself, Sarah!

Young adulthood is such an awkward point in life. It's like, "Oh hey, you're going to be constantly poor, confused about where your life is going, unsure of what's going on right now in your life, and whenever you make a plan it's going to get trampled into oblivion." Along with many, many other things (such as dating, which I don't even care to mention).

And I definitely didn't expect myself to be living back at my parents' house and working where I do. I am quite content with my life currently, but not with the near future of my life. I feel like I came home and put my life on pause. Which is no bueno.

And it's full of crises like this (cue dramatic music):


"Ugh."

"Yes?"

"What am I doing with myself?"

"Do you mean right now? Because you're sitting on the couch watching Sherlock again."

"No, I mean... should I live at home until next fall or move up to Logan in January? Because if I live at home I can save up enough money to travel and buy more camera gear. But then I'd be living at home for over a year..."

"No rent is possibly the greatest thing ever."

"Yes, but the longer I live at home the less I want to go back to school."

"Why?! You love school! Especially USU!"

"Why? Because even if I go to school and finally get a freaking degree what will it do to help? I mean, I'm getting an art degree. An art degree. People who graduate in useful fields can barely find jobs after college, let alone an artist."

"But by then you'll have enough skills to start a career in photography."

"Yes, but I don't even actually know what I want to do with photography. I've always dreamed of working for National Geographic, but let's face it-- that's pretty intense. I don't have a career plan at all. I am hoping that the Lord will help me figure out what I should do with my photo career, but I get all freaked out when I realize I truly don't have any sort of career plan."


(At this point I really did have a nice little freak out. I imagined myself finally graduating from college and being right back to where I am now and working slightly-above-minimum-wage jobs for the rest of my life.)


"Okay, chill. Just figure out a career plan when you go back to school."

"But what IS the point of school? Because I have a full three years left, and by the time I graduate, I will have lots more debt. And will it even be worth it??"

"Will it?"

"Ugh, I don't know."

"What would you do if you didn't ever go back to school?"

"Honestly, I'd probably just keep doing what I am doing."

"So why not finish school?"

"Because going back to school after three years sound crazy tough. I totally think I can do it, I just am not sure it's worth it."

"Well is it?"

And then I honestly spent the next couple days debating with myself whether or not school was worth it. But don't worry, I decided it was. I have always loved school and there's just no way in hell I am not going to graduate college. Especially after already completing three years.

*Deep Thinking*
"'Well, that Will Turner. He's a fine man, too.'
'That is too bold.''Beggin' your pardon, miss. It was not my place.'"


"Wait, did I just quote Pirates of the Caribbean again??"

"Sorry about that..."


And even though I super toned down what my mental state was like this week, it was honestly the perfect week for this to happen. Because this weekend I went up to Logan. And I remembered all the reasons I love school and living in Logan. And I remembered what it's like to be away from home and surrounded by great friends and awesome people (not that I don't have great friends here). And being around those people changed my mind about giving up.

Now let's see when I am going to move back up to Logan...



Gosh, I love Katy.

Both Jenna and I didn't know that the other was doing this.




No comments: