4.17.2010

Earthquake

Thursday at around 6:00ish I was sitting in my apartment attempting a test review for math. Suddenly it felt like my neighbors were somehow pounding hard enough on the thick brick wall to shake the couch I was sitting on. I then thought logically and said to myself, "Wait a second, they can't possibly be able to do that." The shaking in the back of the couch quickly turned into a rumble beneath that shook my sitting device. I looked up at the front room closet and saw the coats in and the doors on the closet shaking. They weren't shaking violently, mind you, but they were shaking enough for me to realize that it was in fact an earthquake.

I then went through a series of thoughts in about .4 seconds.
My first thought as I glanced at our wimpy front room table was, "Should I crawl under the table?! I'm pretty sure that might be a death trap. Well, how about the door frame? Dad always told me to go under a strong door frame!"

My second thought was, "I don't have a 72-hour kit!"
My third thought was, "Maybe this is God's way of reminding me to get a 72-hour kit!"

This all happened within seconds, but it felt so much longer, as does anything that abnormal and potentially dangerous. I asked my roommate if she had felt it, but she said she didn't feel anything. I then asked my neighbors, and everyone else had felt it, so I knew I wasn't crazy.
Within minutes, Facebook was full of chatter about the earthquake. It was then that I discovered that the earthquake reached as far as Salt Lake.
Pretty cool, huh?

I looked up the U's seismology website for recent activity, and it turned out to be a 5.0 earthquake near Randolph, UT, which is a little northeast from Logan. So, not that big of a deal, but big enough to shake up Logan to Salt Lake.

Cool nifty-o.
I'm getting a 72-hour kit for future real emergencies.

3 comments:

Arlene said...

I hate all the destruction of earthquakes, but while they are happening, it's such a cool feeling! I'm glad you weren't going crazy and yes, get your 72 hour kit! :)

Has anyone printed "I survived the 2010 Logan earthquake... t-shirts, yet?

Breanna said...

That's so cool that you felt it! 72 hour kit is a good idea-I'll get one too.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! That is EXACTLY what happened to me! No joke! Except I was on my bed and thought someone was pranking me, and then I realized that there is definitely no room under my bed. Much fun. :) We're survivors Sarah!