6.13.2010

Art City Days: Intro

For those of you who don't know, Art City Days is one of my favorite times of the year. It's full of artsy activities, good food, sugary food, parades, balloons, hot dogs, fancy cars, pooper scoopers, prizes, carnival rides, music, talent, traditions, city pride and fun. I always look forward to Art City Days, even if I don't even do all the activities.

To kick off Art City Days, there's always a Nestle 5k, which I have never run/walked/slugged through. Apparently (according to Kim and Matt) it's the cheapest 5k around, and most of the people do it for the prizes at the end. Kim won a hula hoop. One of these days I'm going to do it, whether I'm in a wheelchair on oxygen or not...

Other events include the "Teddy Bear Tea Party" at the library, which I also have never attended. I think it's a little too late in my life to start going now. There's a Skate Park challenge, which is a bunch of people doing tricks at the skate park with some judges weeding out the complete losers (which would be me, if I ever tried). I have never been to this event either, seeing as I can barely ride a bike without wreaking complete devastation on my internal organs. Another event that I actually would love to attend is the Fireman's Breakfast. I can just imagine somewhat-delicious pancakes smothered in syrup with a side of wimpy bacon and scrambled eggs. To me, that sounds like a wonderful start to Art City Days.

[Some other events that I actually attend are the Children's Parade, Balloon Fest, Car Show, Parade, Carnival, Concert in the Park and the fireworks.]


The Children's Parade consists of children decorating their bikes (or other) with balloons, streamers, or even a basket of candy and riding around a loop while the parents stand on the side and take pictures. I obviously no longer fit either category of "child" or "parent," but I did go this year to watch my sister and hundreds of other kids ride around. One kid threw a box of nerds at me. There was also a large group of kids from a basketball organization who dribbled basketballs around the whole loop. Some kids were sweating bullets trying to get their tiny tricycle to go as fast as the "big kids' bikes."

Sadly, I did not make it to the
Balloon Fest as in years past. I love waking up at 6:00 am to go watch dozens of people unroll giant, colorful hot air balloons, slowly fill them up and take off one by one. The people in the baskets throw disks with prize numbers on them, and I always, always wanted to win something as a kid. I still want to win something. I think one year I got a dart gun or something, but I always wanted one of the big prizes.

The
car show is a short snippet of Art City Days, but it's always an adventure to see what kinds of old, new, souped up, tricked out, and expensive cars people in Springville have. Of course Hal Wing always enters his array of Porsches, Mustangs, and whatever, but there are a lot of old-school Camaros, Mustangs, Ford Model T and Model A's, and a few other excellent cars. This event is always right after the parade on Saturday morning, and we always get the cheap hot dogs at Chevron right before we head over to the car show.

I'm not going to do much describing on the
Carnival, considering most of you know what a Carnival is. I'll explain later what I love so much about the Carnival...

The Saturday morning
Parade is the bomb. I'll explain more later, but I always enjoy running on the roads and picking up the cheap candy. Now that I'm adult, I get some of the bigger, better things they hand out. Whee!

The
Concert in the Park and the fireworks are the grand finale to a fun week's worth of awesomeness. In years past they've had magicians, several different musical groups, and other random acts that I can't think of. This year they had a band called Orleans, who played southern fried rock, and I actually recognized and liked a few songs. They sang this hilarious intermission song called "Mall Cop," which would've put "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" to shame. That movie sucks.

[Well, I hope you enjoyed a brief *cough* description of my love for Art City Days. I hope you will try to participate in next year's activities when the time comes.]

Oh, and this is my 50th blog post. Go me.

1 comment:

taraya said...

It's never too late to attend a teddy bear tea party.