9.13.2010

physics?

The Physics club had their opening social the other day, and it was pretty entertaining. I missed the free pizza (which is why half the people went in the first place), but I did get unofficial Sub-Zero ice cream. Meaning they poured liquid nitrogen into a bowl of strawberries and cream and stirred it up until it froze. Good stuff, good stuff.













Above: They did the traditional balloon-full-of-a-mystery gas vs. fire that explodes demo, but it still made me jump. It makes me jump every time.

This is a small Newtonian pool. It basically means that if you walk on the surface really fast, then you can "walk on water." If you stop walking, you'll sink to the bottom and have a hard time getting out.

It's a lot of corn starch and water (I think). Fun stuff!
















Sorry this picture is crappy, but I liked how this random kid filled a Ziploc bag full of Kool-Aid and poured liquid nitrogen in. It kinda looked like a bad idea.

______________________________________________

I know I'm not very good at physics. I completely bombed the AP Physics test. But my physics class up here is phenomenal- I love it to death. My professor, Shane Larson is absolutely hilarious. He is super loud, super sci-fi nerdy (Star Wars), and he really gets everyone involved. He wants everyone to gain a love (or at least appreciation) for the subject, even if it means throwing his $200 textbook as high up in the air as possible and letting it crash down to the earth.
We applauded.
Also, in order to demonstrate vector properties, he procured a small R2D2 from his pocket and had us point to it at various locations. I just really like how he had a lego R2D2 in his pocket. The best part is that he is really loud. Really really loud. He's in one of the biggest classrooms and he is nowhere near in need of a mic. I am glad I finally got a super entertaining professor, it makes my day so much better.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

I talked to an alum from your school today. He had high regards for all the profs there. He went on to be the head of the Presidential Band in WA. So, yay for Aggies! (or whatever you are. I took Niquil, so I'm a little out of it.)