3.19.2011

Boosting the Economy, One Bouncy Ball at a Time

20,000 bouncy balls falling from a helicopter? 

Cool.


On Thursday, the Society of Physics Students and some other science clubs on campus decided to drop 20,000 bouncy balls from a helicopter for a study on particle acceleration (or something, I don't know the full details), all while educating children and showing that science is quite exciting. Although my stint with science has officially ended, I still love to learn about the world around me. Mostly, I just went to take pictures.


Lots of people young and old came to see the event. There were a lot of photographers there, but of course, I took the best pictures, right? Right? *confidence shrivels up*
It was a cool event, even if it lasted for only a few minutes. We were on the top of the slanted parking lot, so hardly any bouncy balls came toward us. In fact, Shelly was the only one in our group to get a ball. Despite that fact, it was such an amusing and fun experiment, and I hope they try something grand again.


Oh, and about the title of my post- we were joking that the parents of all the kids who didn't get a bouncy ball would have to go to the store and buy some for their kids. Thus boosting the economy, one bouncy ball at a time. Brilliant? Maybe. Effective? Probably not.


ps. If you were wondering, I ended up buying the memory storage so that I can continue posting my fabulous pictures on my blog.
[[ppsspspss. Malea, if you are reading this, you can take these pictures to Shane, if you so desire. ]]






Two reasons I like this picture: 1) The little girl is cute. 
2) The guy with the reddish hair is my favorite math 
tutor, and I'm convinced he looks like Andy from
 The Office. I didn't even know I took a picture of "Andy!" 
Ginger girl...





The big moment! 

It's not completely in focus, but there are thousands
of bouncy balls continuing to bounce up and down
and up and down and up...
The crowd grabbing the rubber
spheres before all chaos broke
loose.


5 comments:

taraya said...

i can't believe you photographed a little ginger. Creep! Haha.

I like your pictures. I'm sure they are the best to be found of the event. Which is a way cool thing that I wish i could have gone to!

Sarah Jane said...

haha, I put that picture up for you, Taraji.
I kept muttering "ginger child, ginger child..." and taking pictures of her.
Creepy, I know.

A said...

Well now I feel bad that I got two whole bouncy balls, and some got none. d'aw.

Anonymous said...

Can I really take the pictures??

Sarah Jane said...

Haha, yeah you can take the pictures if you want.