1.22.2013

Week 4 & 5

I've decided not to really talk about week 4, mostly because it feels like forever ago, and plus the East Coast is much more exciting than the MTC.

The first day/night we spent at the mission home. There were a lot of squirrels outside and we got Philly Cheesesteaks for dinner (you were all waiting to hear about that, weren't you?). And yes, they were delicious. Plus there was basically a whole tray of pickles on the side, in which I probably ate more than half of them. Anyway, the first full day out here, they drove us to Philadelphia and dropped us off in pairs and told us to go street contacting. Sister C and I were paired up, and we started walking around Philly. After an hour, we met up at the Church and went back to the mission home. What I learned from the experience was this: I don't know how to street contact. It's not hard for me to approach people, but I just couldn't figure out how to bring up the gospel well. However, it was a great learning experience and we did wander through the University of Pennsylvania campus, which was neat (there was a massive button statue outside of the library, I thought you would be proud of me for NOT panicking).

My trainer/companion is Sister M. We were reading the trainers' bio sheets the day before, and after I read hers I said, "Hmm. I'd like her as a trainer." The more I read the others' sheets, I had a feeling she was going to be my trainer. Turns out that when Sister M was in training, she saw my picture and yelled, "That's my golden!" So yep, she's my companion. I really like her because I want to work, and she wants to make me work. It works out well. 

My first area is Moorestown, New Jersey. When I first opened my mission call I joked, "I hope I don't end up in Jersey, haha." Well, here I am. And it's been pretty great so far, even if the cold is biting. Last night it snowed for the first time, and today I'm wearing seven or eight layers of clothing. Whoo! We've been able to visit a few investigators this past week. My first lesson was with Shawn, who is super awesome. He's already had a few lessons, but he absolutely loves everything he learns about the gospel, and he says he feels like he's already heard it before. Shawn is evidence that the God really does prepare the hearts of His children, and that we as missionaries need to go out and find those people.

The ward here is so dynamic! There are so many different people, and they're always incredibly willing to help us missionaries out. I've had a lot of meals at members houses, which is fabulous, because all the food is super good. Grandma Van Sciver reminds me a lot of Great Grandma Polak/Mom, because she kept telling me to eat more and more food. Plus she's Italian. Afterwards she also told me that I probably ingested about a pound of butter though...

President says that 2013 is the Year of Miracles. And it will be. Miracles happen, and they happen when we do these:

1) Ask for miracles. Pray for them!
2) Expect miracles to happen.
3) Write them down.
4) Be grateful. Show gratitude towards your Heavenly Father and thank him.

So, my challenge to everyone is to make 2013 your year of miracles. I want everyone to start asking and expecting, and I want to hear about them! Please, please make this your year of miracles. 
"Thus God has provided a mean that man, through faith, might work might miracles; therefore he becometh a great benefit to his fellow beings."(Mosiah 8:18)

I love all of you guys, and thanks so much for your support!

Cordially and lovingly,
Sister Singleton

PS. I think I finally realized why you decorate so much, Mom. EVERYONE on the East Coast decorates for everything. Yes, I understand now.
PPS. I don't think you'll get pictures for the next few months. :( I know, I know! Apparently the library here doesn't let people upload pictures.

No comments: