9.26.2009

insatiable

I have this unquenchable, unyielding, continual, resolute, insatiable desire to travel the world.
I want to get out, to explore anything and everything.
I want to go to a random foreign country and do something I never would've dreamed of doing.
To go bungee jumping. To see a wild animal that the U.S. doesn't have. To meet new people and become enveloped in their amazing, rich, colorful culture. To see mountains and valleys and canyons and forests and coasts and fields and everything, everything!

I can't stand knowing that there is so much in this world, and here I am, stuck in Utah not being able to experience it first hand. Let's be honest, Utah has never really been the most diverse place. Ever since I've moved to Cache Valley it's expanded a bit, but it's still Utah. I'm just glad I don't still live in Utah Valley. I think I would've gone crazy with lack of experience and adventure.

There are an estimated 6.7 billion people in the world right now. Billion. And Utah only has about 2.7 million. That means Utah has only about .04% of the world's population. It's crazy to think that people around here would rather stay in Utah than get out of here and discover the world. To meet people from everywhere and from every possible walk of life. I would love to meet my brothers and sisters in Africa, China, Norway, Costa Rica, New Zealand, Egypt, India, Australia, Russia, Jerusalem and everywhere else. I just want to meet a learn and love everyone that I can. granted I might not get along perfectly with everyone, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love them and how lovely and beautiful their culture is.
Because face it- Utah is not the shiz.
It's not.

Anyways, I've been going absolutely and utterly bonkers lately over getting up and getting out into the world. I signed up for a program called International Student Volunteers, where I would get out and go do a service project in a foreign country. I can't even start to explain how much I would love to participate- to plant trees and watch endangered wildlife and try to better one part of the world at a time. The prospect of flying 7,295 miles down to New Zealand to plant thousands of trees and help preserve the environment is... indescribable. Incredible. Impeccably wonderful.

I just want to get out so bad. To learn something new. To meet someone new. To become someone new.
Ah, wonderful.

2 comments:

Arlene said...

Yeah! You fixed it!

I hope you get to do the volunteer-thing! You'd be awesome. :D

Jessica Pettersson said...

I am with you there pal. Don't become someone entirely different, I like you the way you are.