10.03.2010

USU prevails

10.01.10

I looked forward to this day for a month.
Not because it was a football game, but mostly because I needed a moment of socializing and fun in my otherwise predictable, boring schedule. And we were playing BYU.

Some people slept out on the Quad overnight to get a wristband to go to the game at 3:00. I don't really know why, considering you could just show up at 5:00 and get a good seat anyway.

The excitement on campus swelled throughout the day. It seemed as if everyone asked everyone if they were going. Most people responded with "well of course!" while the others would look down at their feet, shift their weight and mumble a lame excuse as to why they couldn't make it to the game.

I managed to find a premium seat next to the wonderful Trevor forever and waited in the boiling sun for the game to start. Everything, absolutely everything was blue.
It makes sense, considering Aggie Blue and BYU blue are quite similar, you know.

*cough* USU blue is better *cough*
I did rather enjoy the halftime show of a combined Aggie/Cougar marching band playing "God Bless America."

I won't go through the actual details of the game, but I must say it was fantastic being in the crowd.We have a pathetic football team . It's a fact. We've been crummy for years now (but we are getting better!).

{The fact that we were
creaming a disliked rival was so exhilarating- so intoxicating. The more the game went on, the louder we got. The more we cheered. The more we jumped and high-fived.}

It's every Aggie's dream to pulverize BYU, and every second the game neared the end, a realization that it was actually going to happen was bubbling inside each of us, waiting to explode.

Unfortunately in the 4th quarter, the Cougars managed to slip in another two touchdowns. At that point though, no one cared. I wish they would've stayed at 3 points, because 31-3 just looks really good for us. And really bad for them.


The last 30 seconds was the longest of our lives. We rushed down to the field and impatiently screamed and jumped around the sidelines while the final few seconds dragged on (see video above)

3...2...1... BUZZ!

Without hesitation, a swarm of Aggies rushed the field, hollering and leaping whilst running towards our team in the middle. Even though I was screaming at the top of my lungs, I could barely hear myself.
We watched as the BYU fans hid their heads in shame as they tried to exit the stadium without anyone mocking them.

[[ Then we sang the Scotsman ]]
(which, if you don't know, is the big song here at USU).

We won.
We won.
We won!
We beat BYU.
We beat BYU?!

It doesn't matter if BYU fans say they have a crappy team this year. Our super crappy team beat your crappy team and we're proud of it. It doesn't matter if we lose every other game this year (football, at least).
It's been 17 years.
We love it.
And we won't forget it.

Suckas.

4 comments:

Kim said...

yay! I don't go to either school...but beating BYU is a good thing. always.

Jessica Grosland said...

I hate you both.

Sarah Jane said...

*blubbering* But Grosland, I don't hate YOU. Just your school.

Arlene said...

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved this! I'm not a fan of BYU fans (except for my husband, of course), so I'm glad you had some fun at their expense! :p