10.25.2012

OKAY.

OKAY.

I haven't been blogging not because I don't have anything going on, but because I have too much going on.
Surprise, right? October's been great. After a boring and uneventful September, I ventured into the land of super-fun October! I do love the Halloween season. Haunted houses, pumpkin carving, dressing up, corn mazes, Halloween movies, fog juice, zombies, special FX makeup, and all that jazz. Great stuff. Not to mention my all-time favorite Community episode is Epidemiology, aka the Zombie Halloween episode (Episode 2.06)


So with all the Halloween stuff going on and trying to get stuff together for a mission, it's been busy. And fun. Except that it's impossible to find clothes/shoes that I will actually wear. I decided I'm just too stubborn to wear anything I don't like.
Problems:
  • I like dresses more than skirts. 
  • Shoes. If you've ever gone shoe shopping as a sister missionary, you know what I mean. (Although there is a pair of Oxfords I'm willing to buy, unfortunately Utah County doesn't have a Nordstrom anymore and I don't trust buying shoes online. I'll have to go to Salt Lake eventually.)
  • I'm seriously the most boringly-dressed person ever. Almost all my clothes are gray and blue. Just ask Petey.
Also, I bought an awesome suitcase yesterday. I never thought anyone could be so excited over a suitcase.

Besides all the Halloween stuff, it's been pretty awesome as far as spiritual stuff goes. 

First off, there was General Conference, which was fabulous. Saturday morning session opened with my favorite hymn, How Firm a Foundation, and I burst into tears. And then Russell M. Nelson had that fabulous talk "Ask the Missionaries! They Can Help You!" followed by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's "Of Regrets and Resolutions." Can I just say that with each new talk President Uchtdorf gives I find myself a new favorite talk. He has a wonderful gift of relating his life to everyone, religious or not.

Alongside the great talks, a huge announcement was made that the missionary age for the men was dropped from 19 to 18 and from 21 to 19 for the sisters. I've had so many people ask me how I feel about the age drop in the sisters, in which I always respond, "Now I'm going to be an old grandma in the mission field." Nah, but seriously, I'm super excited. I know that being in school for three years was the biggest turn off for me. I was 19 when the idea of a mission became less appealing. It took a lot of pushing and prodding from the Lord to change my mind when I was ready to turn 21. So honestly, let's get more sisters out there! Heavens know we're better than the men, anyway (I joke... kinda).

Look at this man! How can you not like him?













Secondly, I was able to go through the Salt Lake temple earlier this month. It was beautiful and wonderful.

Thricely, I was able to attend my sister's sealing to her husband and their daughter, Avalynn for time and all eternity. I have never witnessed a more happy and pure moment, and all I could feel was pure joy from everyone in the room. I definitely cried.

















As well as the big spiritual events, I've just been able to see better the ways in which the Lord works miracles in my life. Big or small, they happen, and I'm incredibly grateful.

Until next time,
Sarah

2 comments:

Hormell's said...

The Temple is the best thing ever! Also, wait to buy a lot of your clothes until you're actually there, often what it tells you in your packet and what the sisters ACTUALLY wear are 2 completely different things. Trust me, waiting to buy most of your wardrobe when you're in Philadelphia will be easier. And you won't go over weight on your suitcases!

Sarah Jane said...

Haha the only thing I've listened to in my packed is the "don't wear too tight/too loose things" and the over-the-knee rule. Other than that, I've pretty much only bought a few things that I actually would wear, regardless of a mission.

KATE! All of your tips help. For real.