12.25.2012

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Well hello and Merry Christmas, everyone!
This first week has been super interesting. I'm surprised how quickly I've adjusted to the schedule, and even though we're up and about for 16 hours, it still feels like there's not enough time to do anything. Thanks so much for the letters and packages; I haven't opened my presents yet, but I look forward to it today.
The very first day we, as a large group (70 people) taught three different investigators. The first group was really messy and we had no focus; throwing around really deep doctrine like proxies and baptism for the dead. The second investigator we got to know them and found a focus, but there was no Spirit in the conversation. The third one went really well; we definitely had the Spirit in teaching him. It's incredible how much we've all improved within just a few hours.
I have the best District ever! There are eight Elders and four Sisters, and we're either going to Chicago or Philadelphia. I thought that Frodo and Sam or Sherlock and Watson had the best bromances, but now I can definitely say that Elder companionships are by far the best bromances ever. Just to let you know. We spend almost all our time together as a District; we eat all meals together, we're in class together (8-10 hours), and we've all grown together. Every night we've had a chance to bear our testimonies to one another, and the room is always bursting with the Spirit. We had a devotional the other day and the speaker talked about repentance, so afterward we got together and started discussing about what we learned. It quickly turned into one of the most powerful experiences I've ever had, with us bearing our testimonies of why we were serving missions. It's amazing how each different person learned for themself that they were going to serve a mission and the circumstances surrounding their decision (and yes, I spent the better part of an hour crying). I know my District was divinely inspired, and I can honestly say I love each person deeply. I believe it was Elder Lee who said that it feels like we've been friends our whole lives, and I completely agree with him. And of course we've had some great times, like deciding which Disney character each person was. When we got to Elder Johnson, without a pause Sister Vande Merwe said, "Al from the Al's Toy Barn commercial in Toy Story 2!" It was so great.
We've taught a few "investigators" this past week. Our teachers are acting out investigators they found when on their missions. It's been tough learning how to study, plan, and yet rely completely on the Spirit to teach. Because if there's one thing the MTC teaches you, it's that I can't teach, but the Spirit can. The biggest thing we need to remember is that when we're teaching people, our goal is to have them come closer to Jesus Christ. It isn't to have them join the Church, it isn't to get them baptized, it's to have them gain a testimony of Christ and His Atonement and to desire to live with Him once more.
I'm so glad to be serving a mission. It feels like I've been here for a month; that's how long our days are. Oh, and by the way, I'm expected to leave the MTC on January 15. It was supposed to be three weeks, but because of Christmas, everyone's staying an extra week. What's incredible is that the week I came was the first official week that the new age changes came in. There is a 19-year-old sister (Sister Vande Merwe) and one 18-year-old Elder in our District (Elder Lee), but at a devotional we had them all stand up. And boy, was it incredible how many there were. President Monson was truly inspired, and the Lord is hastening His work upon the earth. I'm incredibly grateful the Lord has let me be a part of it.
I've learned so much I can't even tell you all. But I just wanted to let you know that the Church is true and I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that his faith and enduring to the end is why we are able to have the fulness of the gospel today. And family, no I don't miss you yet, but I love you very much (what?! I'm sorry, you know me-- it's only been a week).
Yesterday we had a Christmas Eve fireside with the story of Christ's birth acted and and full of music. Afterwards we watched "A Christmas Carol" and got huge bags of kettle corn. Today a General Authority is coming (I'M SO EXCITED!), and we're having a full schedule of special Christmas stuff.
I love you guys, and I know that the Lord loves all of you and will bless you if you're faithful and obedient. The greatest gift and sacrifice is to give the Lord a broken heart and a contrite spirit.
Love,
Sister Sarah Singleton

Our awesome district on a Temple walk

No comments: