12.25.2012

Christmas letter #2

Merry Christmas!

I get to send a second email today-- huzzah (P-day plus Christmas)! Well, I love you all, friends and family, and just wanted to thank you all for your support.

Today we went to a devotional where Elder Russell M. Nelson spoke to us about missionary work and how to utilize our resources and be the best we could be. He also talked about how Christmas is about Christ's victory over death. Just think about the lyrics of "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing." He said the Lord is hastening His work and we are called to bring peace, hope, love, and joy to the people in a world of lying, deceit, and evil. We are "at risk-- serving in enemy-occupied territory," but if we act in complete obedience, the Lord will protect us. He also warned about rumors in the Church. Apparently there's been a rumor that people get called to serve in one country and are transferred to another not open to missionary work at this time. Those rumors are completely false, and we should always stop the rumors. We are an honest Church and deal with Nations "through the front door. Not the back door; not the alley." It really was a great talk, and I'm so grateful we had an apostle of the Lord speaking to us. His wife, Wendy Nelson, spoke about Spiritual "Gift Cards." I thought it was funny, because she mentioned how people don't spend gift cards and I chuckled to myself. But anyway, she talked about how Christ has paid for our Spiritual gifts already, and all we need to do is pray earnestly to "purchase" or receive those gifts. Are you shy? Pray for the gift of listening and discernment. Easily discouraged? Pray for the gift of persistence and endurance. Do you have a temper? Pray for mildness and understanding. And once you get a gift, ask for more! The Lord has an endless array of Spiritual gifts, and we should always seek more.

Thanks so much for the presents! I saved one for tonight, but I totally missed the whole "open on Christmas Eve package." But I love the pajamas! My roommates were jealous. Christmas today has been quite an experience. We have definitely felt the Spirit, and I look forward to more stuff later today. 

One thing that stuck out to me this week was when we talked about the purpose of prayer. The whole reason we pray is to align our will with God's. It isn't to ask for stuff we want, it isn't to complain, but it's to humble ourselves before God and ask that our will be like His. So in other words: we need to want what He wants for us. This is the whole idea of having a broken heart and a contrite spirit. Having a broken heart is knowing that without the Father, we can do nothing. Having a contrite spirit is being submissive and willing to do whatever the Lord wants. So when you pray with a contrite heart, no matter what His answer is, you're willing to do it. And when we end our prayers in Jesus' name, it means basically that Jesus would approve of what we are asking. So I challenge all of you to add more meaning to your prayers. We have the ability to talk directly with our Father in Heaven. Isn't that incredible! (Look up Alma 18:15-18, 22-23).

Yesterday we sang an excellent rendition of "The Twelve Days of Christmas." It's Missionary-style.
1. A copy of the Book of Mormon
2. Heavy bags
3. Meals a day
4. Referral calls
5. Golden contacts
6. Bowls of ice cream
7. Sessions planning
8. Teachers teaching
9. Sisters singing
10. Prayers for blessings
11. Elders preaching
12. Apostles speaking

Excellent, eh?

Like I mentioned in my earlier email, I have a fatanbulistic district. Every person in our district has such a strong testimony, and where one is weak, another is strong. Last week I had a hard time because I felt like I just wasn't good at anything. Elder Lee, Elder Scott, and Elder Tarry are super good at reciting scriptures. The others are good at symbolism and analogy. And everyone else seems to have a spiritual talent beside me. But at the end of the day last week, Elder Scott stopped everyone and gave a truly inspired quick testimony about how we all work together and what not. It made me realize that I do have a strength somewhere, and once I find what it is, I'm going to use it to my advantage. I have such a wonderful district, and I'm so glad that we all love each other and work together.

Love you guys!

-Sister Singleton




No comments: