5.04.2014

#BecauseofHim

Dear family, friends, and cats,

I am going to die in Reading. Now before you think that's a literal statement or before you think I have a bad attitude about it, let me explain: when a missionary goes home, they "die." So, there you go. We got transfer calls on Friday and found out that both Sister Suckow and I are staying in Reading. It was a bizarre moment, because at that moment I found out where I will be until the end of my mission. I didn't sleep at all that night because my mind was all over the place. But I am super excited that Sister Suckow and I are staying together! (PS, I don't think I ever told you guys how her name is pronounced. It's like "suitcoat," but without the t's.) 

A lot of our appointments cancelled this week, but we did see one really cool miracle. We were just stopping by people in Reading after an appointment fell through. I asked who was next to stop by, and Sister Suckow sat there for a minute. She responded, "We need to see Nikki." Nikki was on the other side of Reading, but I started driving to her house. As we pulled up, we saw that she was trying to walk down the steps. Well, she's pregnant and terribly sick (she has to be on bed rest pretty much her whole pregnancy). We said a prayer, got out of the car and asked how she was. She told us she was about to walk to the store to buy some meat to make dinner for her family. We stopped her and told her we weren't going to let her walk, because she looked like she was going to pass out. She insisted, but we absolutely wouldn't let her go. We told her we would go pick up meat for her instead. She agreed and thanked us. We got back in the car and headed to the grocery store, which was .5 miles away. There was NO way she would've made it there because of how sick she was. We picked some meat up for her and let a member, Elisia, know what was going on. Well, Elisia offered to cook dinner for Nikki so that she could stay off her feet. Nikki agreed and we took the meat over to Elisia's house and we helped make dinner for Nikki.

It was definitely one of those moments where I'm grateful we followed a prompting from the spirit. We weren't planning on seeing Nikki until a couple hours later, but the Spirit told us to go there sooner. So we did. And because of that, we were able to help her and and make sure that she didn't get hurt. Because honestly, she would not have made it to the store and back. The Lord knew that she would leave her house at that time and that we would be willing to stop and see her. What a miracle!

Sunday night we were able to go to "A Walk by Faith," which was a musical performance with testimonies put on by the youth in the stake. It was really great because Roselie came, which was AWESOME! We got there early to help hand out programs and it was cool because I got to see a LOT of people from Whitehall and Bethlehem (two of my past areas). The performance was beautiful and full of the Spirit. Roselie loved it! I was just so glad she came.

I'm going to switch gears for a moment-- guess what the Church is doing this week?? A media blitz! So, from yesterday (April 13) until Easter Sunday, the First Presidency and the Church media department want everyone to post things on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, etc. with the hashtag #BecauseofHim every day this week. The goal is to explode the internet with messages about the Savior. What better thing can we do for the Lord in time for the Easter season than to share it with the WHOLE WORLD?? The Church even has an ad on YouTube that will be up on Easter Sunday, and there's an amazing video on mormon.org/becauseofhim that we want everyone to see. And I meaneveryone. So throughout the week, post things on social media with #BecauseofHim with pictures, stories, testimonies, or that video. So that's my challenge to everyone-- share it every day this week. Give this gift to the Savior. And share your experiences with me! I'll share one right now:

We announced this to the Relief Society and Young Women in the ward. The Young Women were SO excited and could hardly wait to go home and tweet or Facebook something. After class they came up to us and told us that they've been trying to find something to put on the back of the shirts for the new beehives. Well, guess what they're going to put? #BecauseofHim. I nearly cried because I saw how excited they were to spread this Easter message. 

I love the internet. It can be used for so much good. Bad, yes, but it can be used for good. I didn't realize how much I loved technology until I started using it to share the gospel. 

Love you,
Sister Sarah Singleton


PS. The youth had an awesome murder mystery night on Wednesday! The Elders and us had parts in the program, but the first part was dinner and solving clues. It was hilarious because our table was getting super into it and accusing each other like crazy. Then after we solved the murder, we acted out the scene in the Book of Mormon that the whole thing was based off of  (Helaman 9). I wish I could've gotten a picture of everyone in their costume, but it has to have been one of the funnest youth nights ever!


                            
                                                                   My current district! 
Elder Goates (the tall one), Elder Jorgenson, Sister Manson (thumbs up), Sister Cox, Sister Suckow and I. 







No comments: